Sign Up   |  
Log In
Log In
  |   Contact Us

West Virginia Marriage License Info

Home   |   Local Services   |   Reception Sites   |   Specials & Deals   |   Community   |   Marriage License   |   Wedding Blog   |   Link To Us   |   About Us
After deciding to have your wedding here in West Virginia, it will be necessary for you to take car of some legal matters as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the longer your wedding will be put off. For starters, you will need to obtain a West Virginia marriage license, which can usually be applied for at any of the clerk offices in the county you plan on getting married in. You can sometimes find the clerk offices inside the county probate court or circuit court.

There is a $36 one time fee for the West Virginia marriage license; only cash payments are accepted. It is not necessary for you or your partner to be current or previous residents of West Virginia to get a marriage license that is valid through out the state. Once you pay for your marriage license, you will get it right away; there is no waiting period. When you receive your West Virginia marriage license, you will have to undergo a three day mandatory waiting period before you are able to get married.

For you and your partner to get married without needing parental consent, you will need to be at least 18 years old. Make sure that the two of you bring a birth certificate to verify your age. If you or your partner is under the age of 18, you will need to bring in a signed parental consent form. If under the age of 16, you will need a court order to get married. If a minor is pregnant, she does not need to have a parental consent, but will need to have the pregnancy verified by a licensed physician, who will need to provide a written statement.

The state of West Virginia does not require partners to do a blood test or physical exam to get a marriage license. After getting your marriage license, you will have 60 days after the issue date before it will expire. If you or your partner were previous married and are now divorced or widowed, you will need to provide the date of the divorce or spouse’s death. You will also need to bring a copy of the divorce decree or the death certificate for verification. These papers can be order online.

Once married, you will receive a piece of paper called a marriage certificate. This is your proof that you and your new spouse were legally married in the state of West Virginia. Then when changing your last name, you will need to present this paper. You will need to notify government agencies (i.e. social security and motor vehicles). Who also need to be notified are non government institutions, such as banks, employers, credit card companies and others that you have done business with. You can also use the legal name change kit; just fill out all of the forms – can be done before or after your wedding ceremony, but is recommended that you complete it before to better convenience you.

Marriages that are not allowed in West Virginia include cousin marriages, same sex marriages, common law marriages and marriages by proxy.
Advertise | Business Login | Local Services | Specials & Deals | Community | Marriage License | Wedding Blog | Link To Us | About Us